Fun little test that estimates how many English words you know.
Check out the website for cool stuff about linguistics.
- Most adult native test-takers range from 20,000–35,000 words
- Average native test-takers of age 8 already know 10,000 words
- Average native test-takers of age 4 already know 5,000 words
- The most common vocabulary size for foreign test-takers is 4,500 words
- Foreign test-takers tend to reach over 10,000 words by living abroad
- Foreign test-takers learn 2.5 new words a day while living in an English-speaking country
- Native adult vocabulary size appears to be principally determined by
reading habits between ages 4 and 15
- Native test-taker children who read “lots” learn 4 new words a day
- Native test-taker children who read “not much” learn 1.5 new words a day
It’s not learning, it’s fun!
Read about South Korea’s English Proficiency in this article.