Conversations have to start somewhere. How about talking about the weather?
This post will list some phrases to talk about the weather and discuss my goal to learn how to make small talk which includes knowing 존댓말 polite speech.
Even in a very limited topic of the weather, there can be many questions and responses.
A few simple questions and answers
|it’s …||날씨가 … 입니다|
|what’s the temperature?||기온이 몇 도 입니까?|
|it’s 22°C||섭씨 22°C입니다|
|it’s …||날씨가 … 합니다|
|what a nice day!||좋은 날이군요!|
|what miserable weather!||불쾌한 날씨군요!|
|it’s starting to rain||비가 오기 시작합니다|
|it’s stopped raining||비가 그쳤습니다|
|the weather’s fine||날씨가 좋습니다|
|the sun’s shining||햇살이 빛 납니다|
|what’s the forecast?||일기 예보가 어떻게 됩니까?|
|it’s forecast to rain||비가 예상되고 있습니다|
|it’s supposed to clear up later||나중에 개일 예정입니다|
겨울 – winter
Small Talk – Making Conversation
Goal: Small talk with Koreans by December 1
- Questions & Answers
- Correct politeness level
- Typing – Kaokotalk
- Speaking – Phone, Skype
- Review conversations I have already had with Koreans
- Review “small talk” from KDA classes
- Practice saying weather terms
- Chat about the weather daily
- Create a deck of weather vocabulary and practice
- Find people to practice talking in Korean and set up sessions
- Read about way to make small talk. Practice in English.
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Speaking Fluency
- Make recordings of yourself. Speak out loud to yourself.
- Find native speakers talking about the weather
- Make an “island” of sentences you are comfortable saying.
- Speed test yourself hearing, saying, and typing
- Learn to say temperatures in Celcius
Politeness and Formality
With 심봉섭, I must speak very politely. I am not even sure how to name the different politeness levels. Different sources have different names. Korean speech levels Honorifics TTMIK Level 3 Lesson 27 Politeness Levels / 반말 and 존댓말 Korean Politeness Levels
When I speak with 심봉섭, I must use the most formal speech (deferential). With 김도환, I must speak formally to him as teacher in public such as the CSAT class. In Kaokotalk with Dohwan, I use polite (common) level because over the past 6 months we have become friends. I asked permission to speak polite level with Dohwan in private messages. Coworkers, strangers, and customers should be spoken to formally. Public speaking should be 존댓말. At this point, there is no one I should speak 반말 with.
I’m not use to classifying people by age. 심봉섭 is 7 years younger than me. James 전성일 is 3 years younger. 김도환 is 2 years younger than me. JPhilLee, Jeongnam, and Colin Choi 최재석 are the same age. 문철 is 7 years older. Hyeonsook is 6 years older. Choi Sun ji is 5 years younger. Hwang Sunmi is 8 years younger. Hwajin is 11 years younger.
My English speaking classmates, I have never thought to ask their ages. Chulmoon’s friend Andrew Yang, I just met and haven’t asked his age. Same with the person Dohwan introduced to me, the math teacher 성원용. It is such a difficult question. It would be rude to ask someone in America that I had just met what their age is.